Applications and Interviews
Applying, preparation, interview questions, presenting yourself
Register with YC Hertfordshire to see all our advice and tips about applying for jobs and use our CV Builder - Create an account
Identifying your skills
When you are applying for a job it is important to paint a good picture of yourself by highlighting your skills and qualities. Whether you are putting together your CV, filling out an application form or preparing for an interview it is useful to think about how you will describe yourself.
Use positive words to describe your skills and qualities, that will create a good first impression on your CV/application form or at an interview…
Read the job or course description and requirements - only apply for a job if you meet the requirements - it may sound great but if they are asking for grades or experience that you don't have, you are unlikely to get an interview. If you are unsure, don't hesitate to call the employer.- or YC Hertfordshire if you heard about it through the YC Hertfordshire team.
Follow the instructions - if the employer has asked for a CV to be emailed, that's what they want, so email it rather than sending by post. This is the first instruction they have given you so you need to follow it correctly.
Pay attention to detail - on everything you write to employers. Check spelling and grammar on your CV, letters and forms. If you haven't already sent a CV, take 2 copies along to the interview: one for you to remind yourself of details, and one to give the interviewer.
Do it yourself! - if you need to call, do it yourself. If someone else does it for you, it looks as though you lack confidence or are not very interested.
Be flexible - look at getting voluntary, part time and any experience - these may lead to other opportunities
Your CV is your personal marketing tool. If you are 16 to 19 and living in Hertfordshire, why not use our CV Builder to create yours
Create an account to use our CV Builder
YC Hertfordshire can also offer you personal advice and support with your CV - call into one of our Access Points, ring us on 01438 844766 or text on 07860022898
- Find out about the job and employer or course and college
- What you have done which shows how suitable you are
- What you know about the organisation
- Where the interview is to be held
- Think about how you would answer typical questions - Why do you want to work for us? What have you got to offer? What were your favourite subjects at school?
- What questions would you like to ask - Where will you be working and with whom? What opportunities there are for training & further qualifications? When you can expect a decision?
At the interview
- Arrive smartly dressed in plenty of time
- Smile, be positive and enthusiastic and only sit down when asked
- Take a copy of your CV with you
- Think before answering any questions and aim to give full answers
- Don't smoke or chew gum
- If you don't understand a question, ask politely for an explanation
- If you can't think of any questions, just say, "I think you have covered everything I need to know"