Not everyone feels good all of the time, mental health can affect the way we behave, feel and think.
Mental illness is something many people find hard to talk about.
Young people tell us:
- Sometimes it can feel like we don't have any control over what we think or how we feel.
- My depression stems from family problems I was having aged 16, but all teenagers go through this, don’t they? ….. why do I find it so hard to cope?
- I have become obsessed with my studies; I have always been a perfectionist and a very high achiever so I saw no harm in pushing myself that little bit extra. My friends say I am almost torturing myself so I do well!
- Every time I wake up I feel anxious, I am bullied and racial abused at school. I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning.
- I really want to look like all the other girls but my mates say I am obsessed with food, and going to the gym, I think I am out of control.
What can you do:
Check back here regularly for details of support in your local area or call in to one of YC Hertfordshire's Access Points where we can give you information and support you to cope with your feelings and worries.
Join a YC Hertfordshire youth project where you can make friends, build confidence and self-esteem, discuss issues of concern to young people, take part in sports, drama, dance, music, workshops and outdoor activities in a safe environment. Learn about life and others in an informal way.
Speak to a YC Hertfordshire personal adviser at school or college.
Visit Healthy Young Minds in Herts to find out who to contact if you need help and support.
Kooth.com Children and young people in Hertfordshire can now get free online emotional and mental health support using this website .
In St Albans, YC Hertfordshire has partnered with the St Albans Health and Wellbeing Board to promote awareness of mental health and encourage young people to come and talk to us if they have concerns about their mental health. The campaign is called Your mind matters.
- PAPYRUS - Prevention of Young Suicide
- Young Minds
- NHS Mental Health Videos
- Winston's Wish
- Teen Weightwise (healthy eating)